Welcome to My personal Home Page
Dr SHAOKANG CHEN
School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering
The University of Queensland
Brisbane, QLD 4072
Tel: 61 7 33658304
Fax: 61 7 33654999
Real-time Digital Image Processing
Real-time Object Tracking and Image Stabilization
Automatic Face Image Recognition
Automatic Face Detection
Medical Image Processing
We have implemented a successful real-time face recognition system using Discriminative Principal Component Analysis (DPCA) for face identification and Adaboost for face detection. DPCA adopts space rotation, space whitening and eigen feature filtering on the face subspace to enhance feature representativeness and improve the separability of different classes. DPCA is shown to be reliable on face image recognition under various lighting conditions and with different emotional expressions. Adaboost is used to select important features for face detection and a cascade of Boosted Classifier based on Haar-like Features are generated as a fast face detector.
Real-time Face Tracking: AVI
A real-time MMX accelerated Image Stabilization System (ISS) is implemented using Visual C++ and other image processing libraries including OpenCV, IPL and Computer Vision libraries. ISS is composted of three units: edge detection unit to extract motion sensitive regions; motion detection unit to detect motion of each region using block matching method; and motion compensation unit to compensate for unwanted vibrations and rotation. The system works well and fast on a low cost computer with Pentium Celeron 566 CPU and S3 Trio 3D/2X video card.
1. Shaokang Chen, Brian C. Lovell and Ting Shan, Combining Generative and Discriminative Learning for Face Recognition, In Proceedings of Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications, 6-8, Dec., 2005, Cairns, Australia.
2. Brian C. Lovell and Shaokang Chen (2005) Robust Face Recognition for Data Mining, in Wang, John, Eds. Encyclopedia of Data Warehousing and Mining, Idea Group.
3. Ting Shan, Brian C. Lovell and Shaokang Chen (2005) Person Location Service on the Planetary Sensor Network. APRS Workshop on Digital Image Computing, 21 February, 2005 1(1), pages 151-156, Brisbane.
4. Shaokang Chen and Brian C. Lovell, Illumination and Expression Invariant Face Recognition With One Sample Image, In Proceedings International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 23-26 August, 2004, pages 300-303, Cambridge, UK.
5. Shaokang Chen and Brian C. Lovell, Face Recognition with One Sample Image per Class, Proceedings Australian and New Zealand Intelligent Information Systems, 10-12 December, 2003, 1(1), pages 83-88, Sydney.
6. Shaokang Chen, Brian C. Lovell and Sai Sun, Face Recognition with APCA in Variant Illuminations, In Proceedings Workshop on Signal Processing and its Applications, 17-18 December, 2002, 1(1), pages 9-12, Brisbane.
7. Shaokang Chen and Brian C. Lovell, Real-Time MMX-Accelerated Image Stabilization System, Proceedings of Image and Vision Computing '01 New Zealand, pp 163-168, Dunedin, 26-28 November, 2001.